It's been a pretty good last couple of days, to everyone's relief I'm sure :) I got to go shopping with Christina Huang, a fellow Columbus native who is here visiting family. So nice to have something in common with someone here! I did quite a bit of exploring and am taking advantage my independence.
After a great deliberation with my zoo coworkers, I finally have a Chinese name- something I have been wanting since I arrived. From now on you can just call me Lán Yuan. Brownie points for you if you know what it means! Take a guess.
- I hardly ever see any colored cars here, other than yellow taxis. It's either black, white, or maybe a silver car here and there.
- People will wear pretty much anything with English on their clothing, and it is sometimes apparent when they have no idea what their clothes are actually saying. When discussing this with my Taiwanese friends, I found that Ameicans are just as guilty when getting Chinese symbols as tattoos- getting the "prettiest" looking symbol is probably a bad idea.
- There is never a day here when ladies do not go without their umbrella. It could rain that day, or the sun may shine that day, and unlike the American obsession with being tan leather bags, Asians have an obsession with being as transparent as a ghost. Looks like we all just want to be what we aren't...
- People here will eat anything, and I mean ANYTHING.
- There are very few trash cans anywhere outside or even in buildings, which is always inconvenient, yet there is hardly any litter to be seen. I guess Americans are literally trashy people, no pun intended.
- abc= American born Chinese
- Everyone here knows about Purdue University, and everyone here believes it's an Ivy League school. I'm ok with that.
Christina and I
Some pictures of the area around my dorm. I live right across the street from the Taipei water park
711 next door to me. These things are like Starbucks, they're everywhere!
Memorial burial site for a past NTU president
Entrance to the farmer's market I went to
This is what I meant when I said they'll eat anything...... please don't stare at it for too long...
Not sure who was going to be playing, but setting up for a live band.